Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Interest-free loan from parents abroad to help pay UK mortgage

    Dear HMRC, I am tax resident in the UK. My parents (who live and are tax resident in Italy) would like to help me paying my mortgage in the UK by giving me a long term interest-free loan of £100,000. Can you please help me with the following questions: 1. Is it allowed by UK tax law for parents from abroad to give an interst-free loan to their children? 2.Is there a maximum amount that my parent can lend me like this? 3. Do I need to declare this money to HMRC? 4. Do I have to pay tax on an interest-free loan in the UK? Many thanks for your advice.