Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Allowance of the Interest from the savings without paying tax

    Hi there, I retired from the Hong Kong Government and I have to pay tax for the monthly pension to the Hong Kong Government. In accordance with the provision of the Double Taxation Agreement and Protocol - Article 17 (UK/Hong Kong), I will not be required to pay tax in the UK. The only income that I receive and may require tax payment in the UK is my savings interest. I would therefore like to know my allowances for earning interest before I have to pay tax on it. These are: 1. My Personal Allowance 2. Starting rate for savings 3. Personal Savings Allowance What is my allowance of the savings interest that is tax-free in each tax year? Shall I need to complete any tax reporting form to HMRC? What is the timeline on submission of these forms? I look forward to your earliest reply. Thanks a lot.