Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign bank account & money transfers.

    Hi, I have been closing one of my UK bank accounts and the advisor asked me if I have an account abroad and what my tax code for that is. This really confused me as this is the first time anyone asked this. I am an EU citizen with settled status in the UK. I have one bank account in an EU country. I do not earn any interest on this account, nor does any income come into it. There were only a few times when used this account in recent years: I bought a small cheap property there for my mother to live in (it is not rented) and it is in my name. I have transferred some money for renovations for this property. I have transferred some money to pay my mom's medical bills. Now I am really worried that I should have mentioned this account to HMRC somewhere but I have not been earning anything on that money, so I did not think to do it until this advisor asked me about it. Can someone please advise what/if I need to do anything about this? Thank you.