Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Annual allowance for pension saving in previous years

    I read the guidance a couple of times, but it doesn't answer my questions. It says You do need to have been a member of a registered pension scheme during each of the carry forward years. I wanted to know if my pension provider in HK are a recognized UK pension scheme. Is there any way I can find this out?
  • Annual allowance for pension saving in previous years

    I was told by my UK pension provider that I contributed more than £40K during the tax year 2021-2022 and I have to report this excess on the tax return and I am liable to pay tax for the excess. However, before I started my employment with my current UK employer in April, 2021, I worked in Hong Kong and I contributed to its pension scheme throughout my employment. So my question is how can I find out if my Hong Kong pension scheme is a recognized overseas scheme by HMRC? Do I qualify for the annual allowance for previous tax years prior to 2021-22, so I can carry forward the unused allowance to the tax year 2021-22 to cover my excess? I paid UK income tax for tax year 2020-21. Is there any HMRC hotline I can call to understand my tax position for this transition period? I was transferred to different departments. None of them could provide me an answer. Very frustrating. Thanks in advance.