Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment Repayment Timescale

Dear All, I started this thread 4 months ago and can confirm that I have now received payment into my account. The whole process from the initial submission of the SA to the submission of required security info to BACS payment into my account was a full 4 months - do not expect the process to be any shorter if you are selected for security checks. The security check process alone takes a minimum of 8 weeks. From my perspective the HMRC staff have on the whole been very helpful, but their hands are tied due to being under resourced and over stretched by higher demand. Plan on a minimum of 4 months for payment to be made, any earlier is a bonus.

Thank you, at least this gives me a timescale so that expectations can be managed. Based on your response, I would expect, all going to plan, that monies will be in my account by the 30th July 2021. This would then be a timescale of 13 full weeks from submission of the online self assessment to repayment being received into my bank account. I would recommend HMRC update their published timelines as this is what upsets people the most when they are not achieved and no tangible information is forthcoming from calles etc - If I knew it was going to be 3 months from the start then it wouldn't have been an issue. Again, thank you.

Thank you for your enlightening response, very much appreciated. I know you can't provide a detailed response to a specific case so hence the context of question 2 - .........what is the average timescale from receipt of information requested to BACS payment being made? A simple, timely and accurate response to this must surely be easily obtained within HMRC - you have the data readily available: A = Date of Additional Security Information Received - B = Date repayment money transferred via BACS payment into taxpayers bank account - C = Number of days or weeks between A and B The self assessment department were unable to provide this information as they appear to be only capable of providing a scripted response to any posed questions. I hope your next response will be more informative - UK taxpayers should not be treated in this manner, especially when they are owed monies.

Update - Was informed by HMRC that I would receive a letter outlining what additional information HMRC would require in order to pass through the additional security checks. Was told this letter would be physically sent out by the 6th June 2021 where as it arrived on the 17th June 2021 - it was sent on the 15th. I collated all the required additional information - bank statement showing bank account details repayment was going to be paid into, Copy of passport photo page, copy of birth certificate, P60 employer 20/21, P60 Pension provider, utility bill within the last 3 months (water) and sent it recorded delivery the very same day, 17th June 2021. The letter was signed for by HMRC early morning on the 21st June 2021. I called for an update on the 28th June 2021 and the HMRC representative could not speak directly with the 'Security department' and said they would call me back within 24hrs - This did not happen I called for an update today, 6th July 2021 and was informed that timesacles had changed and that the Security department would respond to me in writing by the 23rd July 2021. This is DISGUSTING and no taxpayer should be treated in this manner. HMRC has over £2k of MY money in it's coffers as a result of their ineptitude during FY20/21. Taxpayers get penalised for late payment with a fine and with an additional penalty of 2.5% interest on any monies outstanding, HMRC only pay 0.5% on any late payments from them to the taxpayer - where is the fairness in that!!! My case is simple - PAYE employed in receipt of a pension only - no furlough grants payments etc Question 1 - When will I get my money Question 2 - If you can't answer Q1 then what is the average timescale from receipt of information requested to BACS payment being made Question 3 - Please provide the phone number of Mystic Meg if HMRC Admin are unable to answer Question 2. Thank you

........ and still no response!!!!
  • Self Assessment Repayment Timescale

I submitted my 2020/21 self assessment on the 30th April and am awaiting repayment of PAYE income tax in excess of $2k. Online status has shown 'Bank Repayment Pending' for over a week. I submitted all bank payment details as part of the online assessment. Can you please confirm the timelines for online assessment repayment - I have been told there are no additional security check requirements associated with my submission? Thank you Liam