Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self declaration - script dividend and one-time incomes

Dear sirs, I have 3 questions regarding self-declaration for the year 2021-22: a) I hold shares in Company A which is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. In December 2021, Company A declared a special interim dividend in the form of a distribution in specie of certain shares of Company B (also listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange) indirectly held by Company A to its shareholders. As I still hold 1 share in Company B to date, should I declare this dividend income = its closing price on the trading day on Hong Kong Stock Exchange same as the date of distribution? Please confirm. b) On the basis of question a) above, will I be liable to Capital Gains Tax if I subsequently sold the 1 share in Company B. If yes, is acquisition costs = the amount of dividend income declared in 2021-22, i.e. its closing price on the trading day on Hong Kong Stock Exchange same as the date of distribution? Please confirm my understanding. c) I had one-time income from self-employment and interest income in the year 2021-22 which will not recur in the year 2022-23. What should I do explicitly during self declaration for the year 2021-22 so that NO “1st payment on account for 2022-23” will be due on 31 January 2023? Currently the “1st payment on account for 2022-23” appears on HMRC’s full tax calculation online. Many thanks for your advice.