Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Late Self Assessment penalty but never been self employed.

Further to my post before, I've now withdrawn self assessment as I've always been on PAYE. However I've sent my paper self assessment forms for the years 16/17 and 17/18 as I cannot withdraw them on the 26th April 2022 along with my appeal letter. I had 30 days to appeal my fine which is dated 5th April 2022 (this is now over 30 days) When can I expect a response in relation to my paper self assessments and Appeal? I've checked the progress on my Gov UK profile and nothing is there - how do I know it's been received?
  • RE: Late Self Assessment penalty but never been self employed.

I initially claimed an expense (by mistake) and filed this in the tax year of 15/16, I think this was a Self Assessment Form, this has been since resolved. I subsequently have gotten self assessments forms for every tax year since, I have NOT received any correspondence about this until recently (it's been over 5 years) I now have £1,500 fine's to pay which has built up for over a year not paying (again I have not received any correspondence), I'm not sure why I have to pay the fine's as I haven't been self employed and I've been on the PAYE system in a Full Time Permanenent job for nearly 10 years, why do I have to fill in self assessment forms and pay the fine's? How do I go about fixing this do I do not need to pay any fine's or complete any self assessment tax forms?