Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Sending letters to NE98 1ZZ instead of BX9 1AS

Hello. Could you tell me, please, is it okay to send letters via Royal Mail to NE98 1ZZ instead of BX9 1AS? That is, to: HM Revenue and Customs BP8002 Benton Park View Newcastle Upon Tyne NE98 1ZZ United Kingdom instead of, e.g.: Self Assessment HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS United Kingdom ? (I would like to be able to send letters to HMRC with a signature on delivery.)
  • Self-assessment: sections on Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding

Could you help in regard to the tax year 2020/2021 for the self-assessment (the online form), please? 1. Regarding ‘Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 1 of 2)’: The form says ‘Amount of underpaid tax for earlier years included in your tax code for 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding):’. (Then, there is some amount.) It also says ‘Is this figure correct?’ The figure that is shown contains pennies (just an example: £123.45). However, in my last tax code notice for the tax year 2020/2021 (which contains: ‘This is to tell you your tax code(s) for 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021’) the amount for ‘Tax you owe (earlier year)’ is like the amount in the self-assessment online but without pennies (i.e. in the example it would be £123.00). Could you advise me, please, what should I answer to the question ‘Is this figure correct?’ Should I say ‘Yes’ (assuming e.g. that in the tax code notice pennies just were not included, or should I say ‘No’ and enter the amount as in my tax code notice (i.e. without the pennies)? 2. Regarding ‘Underpaid tax included in PAYE coding (Page 2 of 2)’: The form says ‘Our records show that your 2020 to 2021 PAYE Notice of Coding includes an adjustment for tax underpaid.’; ‘Amount of estimated underpaid tax for 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021 to be included in your PAYE tax code for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022 (from your PAYE Notice of Coding):’; ‘£ 0.00’; ‘Is this figure correct?’. In my last tax code notice for the tax year 2020/2021 the amount for ‘Estimated tax you owe (this year)’ is non-zero, however in my last tax code notice for the tax year 2021/2022 there is no section ‘Tax you owe (earlier year)’. My assumption is that the last tax code notice for the tax year 2021/2022 and its absent section ‘Tax you owe (earlier year)’ take priority, and the figure £0.00 is correct. Could you advise me, please, is it the correct assumption?
  • Self-assessment: how many employments to choose and where to put ‘post-employment’ income

Could you advise us, please, if an employee was employed by only one employer X in the tax year 2020/2021 but the employee received some taxable payment from another employer Y, which (the payment) was related to the employee’s visa/immigration expenses and which (the payment) was made after the employee’s employment with the employer Y (the employee was employed by the employer Y in the tax year 2019/2020 but not in the tax year 2020/2021): 1. Is it correct to specify only one employment in the self-assessment for that tax year (i.e. the employment with the employer X)? 2. Is it correct to include that taxable payment from the employer Y in the box ‘Taxable lump sums and certain income after the end of your job - excluding redundancy and compensation for loss of your job:’ in the self-assessment?