Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Merchandise in baggage UK->EU goods value question

If the price I bought the components used to manufacture my goods for was anywhere near the final selling price of the completed product then I wouldn't have a business.

Thanks for that very helpful post. Customs notice 252 brings a fair bit of clarity to this issue. Going by method 5 the declared value of each item is £25. Using the UK retail price - method 4 - would result in a £150 value. I know which value I'd rather pay VAT/duty on. According to notice 252 I get to choose... that's right isn't it? Method 5 can come before 4 according to the guidance.

Hi, I've seen that page. The information I require is not on there. Please answer the questions in my first post: 1) Do I declare the amount I paid for the components, or the value I intend to sell the finished product for? 2) If it's the latter, can I instead take the components into the EU, declaring their value, then assemble the finished product there?

This is no help at all. You've just copied and pasted from the page I linked. Can you answer my question about declaring the value of goods please.

Can someone please let me know how Merchandise in Baggage works. I'm booked for a guitar show in Manheim in September and am considering one in Berlin in March. I want to know if selling products in the EU is feasible after brexit.
  • Merchandise in baggage UK->EU goods value question

I'm a sole trader building musical instrument accessories in the UK. I'd like to take a number of these products to some small-scale trade and consumer shows in the EU, both to exhibit and sell. I notice the carnet option does not permit me to sell products directly, so that's not ideal. However an alternative might be to use the rules for "Commercial goods in your accompanied baggage, also known as Merchandise in Baggage" (quoting the gov website). Now this has a value cap of £1500, which if I went by the retail price to the end user would only allow me to take 10 or so items, which isn't good. However the Simple Online Declaration (see below) specifically asks for the amount I paid for the items and uses this as the declared value. Since I build/manufacture the items myself from components the amount I pay for parts is a fraction of the retail price. Therefore I should be able to take a decent number of items to sell. Is my interpretation of this correct? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/declare-commercial-goods-youre-taking-out-of-great-britain-in-your-accompanied-baggage-or-small-vehicles Another thought: would it be acceptable to import part-assembled products, declaring the component value, then assemble them once in the EU to form a saleable item?