Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Do I need to inform the HMRC?

    Hi HMRC Admin, I landed in the UK in March 2023 using my BNO Visa. The Statutory Residence Test confirmed that I was not a UK resident for the tax year 2022/23 because (1) I spent only 36 days in the UK in that tax year, and (2) I was not a resident in the UK for any of the 3 previous tax years. During those 36 days, I did not have any UK income or gains other than some overseas saving interest. I understand that I don't need to submit any tax return for the said tax year. But do I have to inform the HMRC that I am not submitting anything for the above reasons, even though I have registered for self-assessment and obtained a UTR number in the interest of time? Thank you in advance.