Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: First time registration questions & capital gains summary

thank you, this is all a little counter intuitive...why not let everyone post online? if it can be done by mail, surely the website can be updated to enable online submissions.

Thank you, Just to be clear, Since i do not satisfy the identity-verification requirements of the Government Gateway Account , I need to either contact the helpdesk OR print/fill-out/send the registration form. Once i receive a UTR in the post, i can submit SA + Capital Gains Summary online ? Or would they have to be printed out and sent physically as letters? Regards.

Thank you for your help, There was mention of the internet registrations portals to be changed around june/july this year. Can you tell us something about what changes there will be ? As a non-UK passport holder,I cannot register online for a UTR....will the updated system change this? It is really strange to have to print out pages and fill them by hand when everything is computerised anyways... Thanks.

Thank you for your response, Would you recommend waiting until June/July for the supposed reworking of the registration process or should I contact HMRC by post now to register for self-assessment instead? Is there any information pertinent to non-UK passport holders? Are the computation sheets necessary for all investments in stocks/cryptocurrencies? Thank you.
  • RE: Verify Identity Gov Gateway

Hullo to the HMRC Admin, you mentioned there will be updates to the verification process in july. could you be specific please? Will ppl who do not have a uk passpot,p60,driver license,etc...be able to register/verify/send taxes over the internet portal? Chip chip cheerio

please ignore the way i posed 3rd question..i forgot to revise the example and copied the wrong one! But could someone clarify whether i need to "send computations, valuations,specified claim forms and any working sheets with the ‘Capital Gains Tax summary’ pages of your tax return. " ? If i bought and sold two stocks...would i have to provide the computations for each one ? Will the template for those calculations be given as the last pages in the following pdf (notes to capital gains summary) Can i leave out such computations for cryptocurrencies since i am using commercial software  ?  Thank you!
  • First time registration questions & capital gains summary

I have started investing over the previous year and will have to register for self-assessment with the HMRC. Clicking through the website it turns out that i do not have the identity documents required for online registration Firstly,should i wait until HMRC hopefully/logically/surely allow us non-UK passport holders to register and file taxes online OR should I simply print out the Registration form , fill it and mail it to HMRC in return for a UTR now ? Secondly,suppose I receive this UTR in the mail over the coming weeks after registration. Will that number allow me to file taxes online? Should the answer be a majestic "Nein! Nein! Nein!" and I were NOT in the UK when I need to file taxes and the online systems are still lacking (paradoxical,given the push to "go green"), would I have to print the tax forms outside the UK and mail them all the way here ? Thirdly, perusing the notes to the capital gains summary (SA108) pdf I have a couple of quick questions I was hoping to receive your wisdom on: "Disposal Proceeds" : If i sell share A and receive 10£ & sell share B and receive -3£. Will my Disposal proceeds be 7 = 10-3 ? "Gains in the year,before losses" : Would this be 10 in light of the above example? "Losses in the year" : Would this be 3 in light of the example? "You must send us your computations, valuations,specified claim forms and any working sheets with the ‘Capital Gains Tax summary’ pages of your tax return. " (This is found in the first page of the above Pdf)....now,the SA108 form does not seem to contain any loose pages for such calculations,instead i found a template in the last pages of the notes pdf. Is this the template i need to fill in , one for each stock, and attach to SA108 when filing for taxes ? So 2 separately filled in templates given the simple example above with stocks A and B ? Help!!!