Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Help with lodging past tax return and penalty fee

    I have just returned to live in the UK from Australia and had trouble accessing my Government Gateway account; I was also incorrectly registered for self assessment when I've only ever worked for an employer in the UK (I'm a teacher). I had previously called HMRC to try and rectify this but apparently it was not: I have just been told I have been charged penalties for not submitting a self assessment tax return 2018-19. Nowhere in my account can I find any trace of this though, nor evidence of the fee I have been charged. I've been told I need to submit a tax return for that period but don't even know where to start. Can someone advise me on where I'd begin this; where can I see what this penalty is; and is there a way to avoid it in the future as I will not be working for myself? Any advice gratefully appreciated :).