Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Working for a foreign employer with no UK presence - PAYE & NIC

    I moved from Japan to the UK last summer with a Tier2 spouse visa that enables me to stay and work in the UK until the summer of 2024. When I got my visa, I paid my National Insurance Contributions (NIC) three years. I started working remotely for a Japanese non-profit organisation this May that has no presence in the UK. So far, the total employment income received from the organisation is around £20,000. I also received capital gains (around £10,000) and dividends (less than £50) from US stocks using an investment service in the UK since this May. I have no other income. <NCI> Q1. Do I have to pay NIC again for working at the non-profit organisation? <PAYE or Self Assessment> Q2. Do I have to operate PAYE to pay tax for my monthly employment income through the DPNI scheme? Can I pay the total tax for the employment income received from the organisation by 5 April through the Self Assessment by the end of July 2023? <Capital gain and dividends> Q3. How do I have to pay taxes for the capital gain and dividends? Is this through the Self Assessment process by the end of July 2023? Many thanks,