Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Mystery shopping and Focus group research panel

    I would like to know about self employment income. Apart from my normal PAYE income, I do perform mystery shopping jobs and I am part of different focus group research panels where I get paid a small amount to provide feedback and views on different products and services. I am registered with around 5 mystery shopping companies and 3 to 4 research panel companies. In the self income section, HMRC asks about 5 businesses that I get self employment income from. Firstly, I am not sure whether I am at the right section or not as each of the 5 businesses ask me questions about the business which I am not aware of, for example, "if your business...." but this is not my business as I do not own the mystery shopping company and I only get income from them for doing assignments for them where I am paid a small amount for doing the assignment. How should I fill questions about the questions HMRC are asking about the mystery shopping company as I do not know all this information of that company. I only do the assignments they assign to me and then I get paid for them. Am I doing this correctly? Secondly, I am registered with more than 8 or 9 different businesses or companies and so how do I fill in all these additional companies that I get income from if HMRC only allows me to enter 5 businesses only?