Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Transfer of Swiss Pension

    sorry but i still dont understand your answer. see below extract of art 18.2 of DTT between UK and Swiss: Article 18 Pensions (1) Subject to the provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 19, pensions and other similar remuneration paid to an individual who is a resident of a Contracting State, shall be taxable only in that State. (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1, a lump sum payment derived from a pension scheme established in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State. Following (2): If I move to Swiss and become Swiss resident, and get a pension lump sum from my UK pension (defined contribution): this means following point 2, that I have a lump sum derived from contracting state (UK) , beneficially owned by resident of other state (switzerland), this is taxable only in the first mentioned state : UK. So no tax in Switzerland . Dont you agree? Thanks
  • CGT on main house when leaving UK

    I have been living in my main house in UK since I bought it. I will need to leave UK for work and will sell the house when moving. This is the house I have been living in with my family, so there should be no CGT to pay. If I put the house for sale when I am still in, then I leave UK a few days later to go and work and live abroad. The house is then sold and paid by the buyer 3 months later. I read about the “last 9 months rule” giving relief. Do you confirm that if the sale is done in the 9 months following my departure (in my example, after 3 mths), I will not have to pay CGT? Even if I have moved abroad? Thanks
  • RE: Transfer of Swiss Pension

    thanks for your comments but I was suggesting the other way round. I will become a swiss resident but my pension was built in UK and will be paid from my UK pension provider to my UK account. Following the article 18.2, this should mean UK wil apply the tax, and I will not have to disclose / notify Switzerland. Can you please confirm? thanks
  • RE: Transfer of Swiss Pension

    Hello, I just read the comments above for someone who wants to receive a lump sum in Switzerland and transfer it to UK. You confirmed that if art 18.2 of the DTT between swiss-UK is applicable, the person will be taxed in Switzerland only and no need to notify/declare HMRC even if he/she is a UK resident. I am exactly in the opposite situation: Currently living and fiscal resident in UK, but likely to move to Switzerland for work soon, becoming then a swiss resident (for tax). I will be 55 this summer, and intend to get a 25% lump sum out of my UK pension (defined contribution). Can I confirm that, using the same 18.2 article, I should be taxed in UK only and not declare it in Switzerland? That would help as this 25% is tax free in UK... Thanks to come back to me asap please, as I am in the final negotiations of my work contract with the swiss employer.