Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Makin Tax Digital - Linux Software compatibility Problmem

Hello - like many of us, I'm trying to find Bridging software, that can work with my spreadsheet accounts, on a Linux computer. I'd prefer to have the software on my computer, and then HMRC access, a software program (they have approved) and which is easily installed, so to speak. So a search on the HMRC webpage https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/making-tax-digital-software I selected : Suitable for: [Businesses] Software for: [Bridging] Software features: [Check what VAT you owe] [View VAT payment history] Price: [Free] Search returned 14 results #1 ANNA free VAT filer < windows only / via 3rd party online #ABC VAT Bridge < windows or mac only #GoFile < not free - 90 days then charged service / 3rd party submission only #My Digital Bridge < via 3rd party submission only online 100PcVatFreeBridge BusinessGT < does not exist blank web page Bx < via 3rd party only / windows only Cirrostratus Exedra < not free / not linux Easy MTD VAT < windows computers only MTDsorted < online only via 3rd party / not free Open Answers Limited (Portico Free) < online access only PWC spreadsheet < Not Free 90 GBP per annum after 3 months / windows only SafeAccounts < online access only. VATIFY < I chose PcVatFreeBridge - it is supposedly designed for Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 OS) and had a comprehensive explanation, on how to install. Except it simply doesn't. I've tried for more than 3 weeks to sort this, googled many questions, asked a lot, even written letters to Computer Science (owners and designers of the software) and got absolutely no replies whatsoever. It's not an option, to buy another computer (nothing wrong with the one i have) i reinstalled the operating system, from new, and attempted to install PcVatFreeBridge and i just cannot understand how it does not work. Any advice, to help gratefully received, I'm all out of ideas. Thank you.
  • RE: Bicycle frames - vintage

Thank you for the helpful reply. KD
  • Bicycle frames - vintage

Hello. I purchase vintage bicycle frames, from mostly within Europe. They are purchased and the tax when required, accounted for. I then recondition these, by repairing any, that require it. I then prepare them for paint. The first elements of renovation, are pretty clear - I have found that, some of the bicycle paint facilities, within the UK, are not always skilled enough, with specific models of bicycle frames. So, the most obvious (and cost effective method) is to send them to paint facilities, in Italy, Netherlands or Belgium,. I have yet to attempt this, due to the paperwork requirements, which I am somewhat confused by. I am VAT registered and I also have EORI registration - but, I genuinely do not know, which way to look for help and guidance. If, I buy frames in Italy, Belgium & the Netherlands, I pay the customs duty and tax as required. To then "export" the unfinished goods, to the paint facility, and then return the finished goods back to the UK. Any advice, would be most welcome.