Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Expat confirming identity on Govt Gateway is problematic

Is HMRC planning on improving the verification process so that questions can be answered by expats? I am able to verify my identity when I call on the phone, so HMRC does have sufficient details about me.
  • Expat confirming identity on Govt Gateway is problematic

I used to be able to login to the Govt Gateway, using the HMRC app to get my access code. The app no longer works (after an OS update) so I need to change to getting access code via a text message. Here's the problem: The steps to change access code method requires confirming my identify but does not take into account a UK citizen who lives abroad and does not have a UK address! A thorough search of the gov.uk website, several fruitless web chats, and "expensive" international phone calls have failed to explain how I can confirm my identify as an expat in order to change my access code method. I can't be the first/only person who has this problem.
  • Government Gateway - How to confirm identify if an Expat

How does a UK citizen successfully confirm their identify in order to login to the Government Gateway if they are an expat? I am supposed to select two of three options: 1) Passport - That's easy 2) North of Ireland Drivers License - I'm English and my UK drivers license is 40 years old. 3) Personal credit information (Using TransUnion UK division). That's a long shot but my only 2nd option! Next step is the showstopper as I'm asked for a UK address! I'm unable to progress any further and these is no guidance on what to do. The frustrating thing about this is I used to be able to login (using an access code from the HMRC app) but that stopped working when I upgraded the OS of my phone.
  • RE: Change the way I get access code (HMRC app)

I have the same problem. The steps to change access code method does not take into account a UK citizen who lives abroad and does not have a UK address. A thorough search of the gov.uk website, several fruitless web chats, and "expensive" international phone calls have failed to explain how I can confirm my identify in order to change my access code method.