Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Claiming Redundancy Tax

I have been made redundant and want to claim the overpayment in tax I have made in the year. I'm not sure if i will make any other earnings for the rest of the tax year, however that isn't 100% for sure. I just want the overpaid tax refunded to me asap. on the online form there are two options: - 1, I am actively seeking employment and have been unemployed for four weeks or more and have not claimed any of the taxable benefits listed on page one 2. I don't expect to go back to work (including part time or casual employment) before the start of the new tax year on 6 April. I don't get a pension from my old employer and have not claimed any of the taxable benefits listed on page one Can i assume that option 1 will result in awaiting HMRC to wait until the P800's are sorted for the year until i get a refund, whereas option 2 will result in my refund being sorted now? I understand that if i get a refund and then get another job i would have to go on BR w1/m1, but in the uncertainty I would like to get my overpaid tax refunded asap, so can I assume that option 2 is the best one to tick? Thanks!