Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Received money from abroad (death of family member)

My brother recently sent me my part from my dad's money from Portugal (he passed away 7 years ago - he was not from the UK nor EU). It's less than 10,000 EUR. I got it transferred into my Monese EUR account here in the UK. Some background: From 2014-2019 I lived in the UK as an international student (Angola). From 2019-2020 I was living in the EU with my family. From Jul 2020 until I've been in the UK (this time as a Spanish citizen) to do my masters - finished in September. I started working now (1.5 months in). I currently hold a pre-settled status (I spent more than a year away and did not complete my 5 years to get the settled one, I was also Angolan then so not sure). I've been clicking here and there in the GOV website but I can't get a clear answer on wether this money is taxed or not. Could someone please explain to me how this works and provide me with the right sources so I get correctly informed? Ideally I'd like to contact HMRC. Is this even advised? What's the best way of doing it?