Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• BNO Visa holder applying for personal tax account

Hi HMRC, I'm a holder of the BNO visa for Hong Kong people and have only recently found a place to rent in the UK (I stayed at temporary addresses previously, e.g. airbnb). I've been advised to set up a Personal Tax Account. In the process of setting up the account online, I was asked to provide my "old postcode". I used my Hong Kong address when applying for the visa, and I don't think I entered any postcode (Hong Kong has no postcodes). I entered my current postcode and it did not match HMRC records. I don't know what records HMRC holds; if it is the same as what I provided when applying for the visa, then there is probably no old postcode in the records. Because of the mismatch, I am now stuck in the process of setting up my Personal Tax Account. Could you please advise how I can know what my "old postcode" is? I am told that "You have 4 more attempts to prove your identity". This is urgent and I would greatly appreciate HMRC's advice. Thank you for your kind attention.
  • RE: Non tax resident's UK income

Hi HMRC, I understand but, for newcomers to the UK, it is quite difficult sometimes to determine whether the info is relevant to us, and drawing the wrong conclusions would have undesirable consequences. May I ask then whether generally speaking the guidance related to "Tax on your UK income if you live abroad" applies to people who have not even started living in the UK? (I got the said income last tax year but moved to the UK only this tax year. This is my actual situation, i.e. not hypothetical.) Many thanks for your kind attention.
  • RE: Non tax resident's UK income

Hi HMRC, Thanks for your reply. I have read the info in the link you provided and many other pages on the HMRC website. Because the situations covered on these pages aren’t exactly like my case, I’d like to ask a follow-up question just to be sure. To recap, I got my BNO Visa for Hong Kong people last tax year (2021-2022) and my only income last year came from doing online short-term work in Hong Kong for a UK employer. The income was below £4,000 for the whole period. I stayed 0 days in the UK last tax year and only came to the UK this tax year. My question is whether my assumption that I do NOT need to send a tax return/self-assessment for last tax year (2021-2022) is correct. This assumption is based on several things that I’ve read that may be relevant to my case: 1) I’m not a tax resident last tax year. 2) The only income I earned was below the UK allowance. 3) I had to pay tax for this income in Hong Kong. I sent a tax return there but did not have to pay tax because the income was also below the Hong Kong income tax allowance. (The page you provided above says I don’t have to pay tax in the UK if I already paid tax in my original country, but in my case I did not have to pay tax there just because it was below the income tax allowance there.) I would be grateful if I could know whether I am right in thinking that I don’t need to send a tax turn/self-assessment for last year’s income. Many thanks for your kind attention and help!
  • RE: Selling Hong Kong property prior to arriving UK on BNO 5+1 VISA

Thank you very much for the reply. May I ask a follow-up question? I was not a UK tax resident at the time of the sale, so does that mean no tax return is required? (I'm not sure whether "not liable to UK capital gains tax" is the same as not required to do a tax return/self-assessment for this.) Thanks very much for your kind attention.
  • Non tax resident's UK income

Hi HMRC, I got my BNO Visa (for Hong Kong people) in June 2021 (last tax year). During the tax year, I spent 0 days in the UK (which made me a non tax resident), but I had a short-term job with a UK employer in Aug/Sept 2021 and did the work online in Hong Kong. The gross pay was below £4,000 for the whole contract. I'd like to ask if I need to do any of the following: 1. Send a tax return and pay tax on this income, as a non tax resident for the tax year 2021-2022 (last tax year)? 2. Fill out Form R43 to claim personal allowance? 3. If the answer to 1 and 2 above is No, do I still need to inform the HMRC about this UK income? If so, how? Many thanks for your kind attention.
  • RE: BNO Visa and income before arriving in the UK

Hi HMRC, Many thanks for your reply. I have read the split-year information and think it will apply to my case for this tax year but not the last tax year because, during the whole of the last tax year (2021-2022), I was in Hong Kong the whole time. I only came to live in the UK this tax year (2022-2023). So I suppose I was not a tax resident for the last tax year (2021-2022) because I stayed 0 days in the UK and therefore that I do not need to send a self-assessment for last tax year. Is this correct? Your help would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn’t like to miss the self-assessment deadline if I have to do it. Many thanks for your kind attention.

I just submitted a reply with a follow-up question but did not get a message on the screen saying that it has been received, nor did I get an email about my reply (which I did when I started the thread). I’m not sure if HMRC has received and will reply to my reply.

Hi HMRC, Thank you for the link to check if I need to send a Self Assessment. I went through it and found that it does not ask questions related to whether I was in the UK in the tax year. I would like to know whether I need to send a self-assessment tax return for my income last tax year given that I did not stay for any days in the UK last tax year. Does not staying for any days in the UK make me a non-tax-resident last year and thus making it not necessary for me to do self-assessment? Thank you for your kind attention.
  • BNO Visa and income before arriving in the UK

Hi, I got my bespoke BNO Visa for Hong Kong people last tax year (2021-2022), but I was in Hong Kong the whole of last tax year. I'd like to ask if I need to file a tax return / send a self-assessment for my income last year given that I did not stay for any days in the UK last tax year. Thank you for your kind attention.
  • Self-assessment general questions

Hi, I am new to the UK and would like to ask when I should send a self-assessment, for example, if we have some foreign interest on savings outside the UK, do we send a self-assessment for this no matter what the interest amount is? Or do we do it only if the total interest exceeds a certain amount? I would also like to ask whether we need to declare all of our bank accounts overseas (including accounts with only a few pounds and earn no interest). If so, how do we do it? Thank you in advance for your advice and help.