Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: SA1 Form (foreign pension)

    Thank you for your response. I did check the DTA between Italy and the UK, and my understanding is that the pension paid by the Italian state is taxed in the UK if the person is a UK resident for tax purposes (this is pursuant to Art. 18 of the DTA, as I understand that the exception for pensions for government services at Art. 19(2) would not apply).
  • SA1 Form (foreign pension)

    My father needs to submit his first self assessment for his foreign pension (no other income). Which of these questions in the SA1 form is intended to cover foreign pension? 1) Have you been getting taxable foreign dividends in excess of £300 a year or any amount of other taxable income? 2) Have you been getting untaxed income that cannot be collected through your PAYE tax code? 3) Do you have any other reason for completing a tax return? Regarding the follow up question "When did you start getting this income?", my father became a UK resident during the financial year 2021-2022 (he moved to England in October 2020). Would 6 April 2021 be the correct answer here? Many thanks