Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Tax status when working freelance in different countries

    HI, I am a British and Italian citizen. For the last 30-odd years I have lived in the UK and worked as a freelance translator. I would like to know what my UK tax position would be if I was to spend part of my time in Italy (where I co-own a family home with my brother) and part in the UK where my daughters live. Would I be able to claim residence at one of my daughter's address (as I would be staying there while in the UK)? I looked through the HMRC info on working/moving abroad but did not find anything that mentioned freelance work. My clients are from different countries but I get paid in pounds and always have been filing my Income Tax Return (through an accountant) in the UK. Thank you!