Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: US EE Bond

Hi HMRC, Sorry I was confused. US treasury bill is typically issued at discount for maturity less than one year. Therefore I can understand it's a DDS from UK tax purpose. Howver for US treasury bond is typically issued at 100 with maturity 20 to 30 years, they mature at par value 100. So according to the DDS guideline, it shall not be a DDS?
  • RE: US EE Bond

Hi, Just to clarifying the meaning of DDS. In the above example, if the US Treasury was orginally issued at $100 30 years ago, and due to natural market price movement, I purchased at $50 20 years ago. Is it still a DDS when it matures at$100 now? I originally thought DDS definition looks at the price at original issue (not individual person purchase price from open market) vs the price at maturity? Please kindly advise.
  • Received on date on Tax Year summary

I've always been filing on paper, not online. For all the past years, the "received on" date on Tax Year Summary shows the date HMRC received and file my paper return. For this year, it's been 2 weeks since I mailed the paper return back to HMRC, but the "Received on" date still say "Not yet received" . Is there a way to find if HMRC has received my paper return? In the Current position it indicated "You have nothing to pay", and Tax year overview 2023 is zero. Is it really I've no tax payable or just the paper return is not processed yet?
  • Make self assessment because of SIPP contribution

Hello, My daughter is a part-time worker. Her part-time work income tax is deducted by PAYE already. She has bank interest income, but that's obviously below the £10,000 thereshold. Her total income is below personal tax allowance. So normally she does not need to submit self assessment. She did make SIPP contribution in last tax year. Would she be required to submit self assessment just for filling in the section "Personal contributions that had tax releif in the scheme".
  • RE: Clarity on Pension Contributions when Completing Self Assessment

Hello HMRC, Thanks. Your answer "you're correct" means which one below? A, or B, or both? A. My calculation of per year declaration 2022-23 £2,800, 2023-24, £ 4,320 B. I'll have a violation of the HMRC contribution limit of 3,600 in tax year 2023-24?

Dear HMRC, Thanks very much for the answers. As I will contribute in May/2023 again 2,880 for the tax year 23-24 (and the provider will calim in Jun/2023), does it mean my tax filing will be as folows? 2022-23: 2,880 2023-24: 2,880 (May/2023 contribution) + 720 (tax relief claimed by service provider in May/23 for 2022-23 contribution) + 720 (tax relief claimed by service provider in Jun/23 for 2023-24 contribution) = 4,320 So for tax year 2023-24, my contribution to pension including tax claim will be 4,320. Will that cause a violation of the HMRC saying the yearly contributionc cannot be over 3,600 if you've no employment income?

Dear HMRC, Can you please kindly confirm: that means I put in 2,880 only for 2022-23 filing as the pension provider will claim only in late April (which is 2023-24 tax year)?

Dear HMRC, Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, that means I put in 2,880 only for 2022-23 filing as the pension provider will claim only in late April (which is 2023-24 tax year)?
  • RE: Foreign Income for Non-domiciled' residents

Hello, In the discussion thread, HMRC32 mentioned"... The residence supplementary page is SA109, is where you declare the use of the remittance basis and the amount of income not remitted to the UK."" Does it mean that even if we are filing on remittance basis and not remitting the money into UK, we still need to declare the foreign income amount? If yes, may I know where to put in the amount ? The question 34 and 35 are related to nominated income and capital gain, which I though is relevant only if we are paying RBC? Please kind advise.

Hello, I made my contribution to SIPP £2,880 only this week, and the pension provider will only claim the 20% tax relief £720 in late Apr and post it to my account in May. In filing my self assessment tax return 2022-23, shall I put in£2,800 or 3,600?