Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• My appeal against the SEISS grant repayment demand has been ignored and now I am being fined

I had a demand for the full £5000 to be repaid back in June. I appealed by letter with proof of tax return and earnings not entered or stored correctly on the HMRC system after advice from your representative. I heard nothing. So I phoned again after 3 weeks, worried about the silence and was told to submit an 'overpayment relief claim', so I did. I heard nothing again. The website at the time said appeals were being processed during July and I'd hear by 8 August. Nothing. Then I received a demand for a penalty on non payment of the repayment amount last week, so now I owe even more! I've tried to call for days but can't get through. There's nothing on the website about it anymore. I'm really worried as it's a lot of money and it's growing!! I never would have claimed it if I thought I wasn't allowed - I wish I never had now. I now am employed part time and was self employed until that started in July this year, but I would still retain that status if I can take on more self employed work as well, can't I? I can't understand why I'm being prosecuted? Please help!