Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Residential Finance Costs - how to claim via on-line Self Assessment

    Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. I have a state and occupational pension and am also a partner in a very small student letting partnership. I am trying to complete my on-line filing of my 2021/22 tax return. The partnership section asks for the business profit - no problem - but the finance interest is categorised as a residential finance cost and is not deductible against rental income in calculating rental profits or losses - hence the partnership shows a profit for the purpose of the partnership tax return - although the finance costs more than wiped this out. However, I understand that relief is given as a basic rate tax credit against the income tax liability arising from the rental business profits which, if completing the tax return on paper would be put in box 41.1 and the carry forward in box 41.2 - in the on-line filing I cannot see any way of entering these finance costs. Please can anyone - hopefully HMRC Admin 19 - tell me how to do it please?