Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Report capital gain loss from previous years

    Hello, I made a Capital Gain loss when disposing of an asset in the year 2017-2018. I did not declare the loss on that year's assessment. I did not get any total capital gains above the allowance on the tax years following this loss, so I did not include the Capital Gains section of the self-assessment (ie Capital Gains not reported in 2018-2019 or 2019-2020). Since I can report losses up to 4 years later, but I can't amend the 2017-2018 online, do you confirm that I need to write a letter to HMRC to notify of the loss during tax year 2017-2018, along with calculations? How will the loss be carried forward for subsequent years? Do I need to amend the following self-assessments (2018-2019 and 2019-2020) and indicate the loss amount to be carried forward, even though I didn't need to submit the Capital Gains section since I had no capital gain above the allowance on those? Or can I bring forward the loss only when I need it in the future without indicated it's carried forward every year?