Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: tax ruling on complex matter

My question is: How can I contact HMRC to get a tax ruling.
  • tax ruling on complex matter

Hello, How can I contact HMRC to get a tax ruling so that I can file self-assessment correctly in the upcoming tax year? It is non-trivial issues. My issue on hand is: 1. SPX option box spread as a funding strategy. 2. Foreign currency in a stock brokerage account.
  • RE: Foreign currency in a brokerage account

Thanks for answering, May I ask what count as disposal of the foreign currency? Is any event that cause a reduction of the balance count as a disposal? For example: A service fee charged deducted by my broker Withdrawal to a bank account Buying some other securities It seems that the calculation is potentially complex for little or no tax. Say 20 companies were paying foreign dividends and the broker charge a £2fee every month in Japanese yen.
  • Foreign currency in a brokerage account

Hello, I have some leftover foreign currencies in my brokerage account. (due to not buying maximum possible amount of shares after currency conversion and/or due to dividends) Is the gain or loss due to fx movement against GBP taxable (and loss deductible) with respect to these cash?