Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign tax taken from UK PAYE during work abroad

    Hello I was trying to research this but most of the information seems to be a bit vague/I'm unsure what would apply to me. Last year, between July and November, I was sent abroad for work (Hungary). I was engaged as PAYE. I had Hungarian tax deducted from my payslips (15% on all income) - which came off the UK tax (ie. if £200 UK tax was due in total, the payslip had £50 UK tax and £150 Hu tax). My new employer (started December, back in the UK) actioned my P45 and the week after I've been issued with a K3718 tax code. After calling the personal tax helpline, I've been put back to a regular 1257L wk1 code, which I am still on, however I've been notified that for the next tax year I'll again be on a K tax code. As there's meant to be a taxation treaty with Hungary - how am I meant to go about this? I have paid the taxes due, just in a different country. Is this something my employer should have been reporting? Should I be doing a self assessment for the foreign tax paid? Any advice would be welcome, as I'm just quite anxious about this now. Thanks