Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Overseas resident - reclaim tax paid when cashing out pension

    Thanks for the response regarding your point ' ... whether your form DT-Individual was certified by the tax authority of Portugal before you sent it to HMRC ...' Portugal is one of the countries that no longer does this certification. Instead, the Portuguese tax authority provides a certificate of tax residency. You will note that this alternative process is referenced on the form DT-Individual. The good news is that the process has finally concluded. Tax code changed. Refund pending.
  • RE: When to send an Individual DT

    Hi I am in a similar situation to GAV above I posted my completed DT individual UK/Portugal in February. My Government Gateway account shows form as being received on February 27. HMRC site says I should have received reply 1 May. Nothing received so far (6 weeks overdue) Would you advise how long it is taking to process DT Individual form and apply a NT tax code please?
  • RE: Overseas resident - reclaim tax paid when cashing out pension

    Dear HMRC Admin Team Firstly, this service looks really helpful. As reported by other people on here I cannot get my issue resolved by phone, largely because the calls drop part way through every conversation I have with HMRC advisors. I will be very grateful if you can help me please. I am replying to this thread because my circumstances are very similar to the person above.  I am tax resident in Portugal  I have a DTA certificate  I have been tax resident in Portugal for three years  I have been Non-UK Tax Resident for three years  I have a pension in the UK  I have drawn the 25% tax free pension amount, and now drawing the remaining 75%  I am on UK Emergency Tax code 1257L W1/M1 and the pension company is deducting emergency tax What I have done so far  Submitted form P85 three times (as advised by HMRC on the phone last year)  I was then advised to complete HMRC Double Taxation Treaty Relief Form – DT-Individual  This form was sent by post in February and is showing as received by HMRC on 27 Feb 2023  I also sent proof of Portuguese Certificate of Fiscal Residence, and proof of Portugal Residency According to the HMRC government gateway, I should have received a reply by 1 May but so far nothing received. The matter is still showing as pending on my online personal tax account (government gateway). I need to understand whether there is something further to be done other than wait for this to be completed. I have seen suggestions online that I should complete a self-assessment tax return. My online personal tax account (government gateway) says that ‘You are registered for Self Assessment. To use your Self Assessment online, you need to request access.’ Please advise whether I need to complete a Self Assessment. Any other advice gratefully received.