Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• What documents do I need for declaring cash when flying out of the UK?

Hello! I am planning a trip (air flight) and I need to carry 40000 USD with me for personal use and family support. The origin of money is my and my husband's salary. We both are British citizens, we live and work in the UK. Part of the money comes from my bank account, and part from my husband's bank account. We did multiple withdrawals from cash machines in the past and currency exchange at different times (I didn't keep receipts for all of the transactions, only for some of them). I know that I have to declare the money within 3 day period before I travel, but I am unsure which documents will be required for my declaration. I am worried that it may take more than 3 days to prepare all the documents. Will I need bank statements for me and/or for my husband? For how long in the past? Any other documents for proof of our relationship? Work contracts? Anything else? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Do I need to pay tax on cash gifts that I send abroad?

My friend lives in another country and experiencing a difficult financial situation. I would like to send him £25,000 from my bank account in the UK. Do I need to declare it somehow? I am a resident in the UK, I started working here a few years ago and I didn't receive any tax declaration forms from HMRC yet.