Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Tax credit relief allowed on foreign dividends

This is very helpful . Thank you so much!
  • Tax credit relief allowed on foreign dividends

Hi, I earned dividend income from companies in different countries including, US, China, Japan, Australia, Canada & France. Tax was already deducted in my broker's account when dividends were paid. I understand I can claim the tax credit relief according to the double taxation treaty signed with these countries. However when I filled up the online self-assessment form, I was asked to input the rate of tax credit relief. It's very hard to find this out in the HRMC website. Would you be able to provide me the rate of relief for the above countries for my easy reference? Many thanks!
  • RE: Filing tax return online on remittance basis

Thanks a lot for the advice!
  • RE: Filing tax return online on remittance basis

Are there any recommended 3rd party software? Thanks
  • Filing tax return online on remittance basis

Hi As I have just relocated to UK recently, I would like to claim remittance basis when filing my self-assessment tax return. However when I tried to do it online, I noticed that I was not able to do it straightaway if I had to claim remittance basis but had to use a tax software before I could submit my tax return. I just wanted to clarify if this is really the case and if I must buy a tax software before I can file my tax return. Thanks
  • RE: Replacement cost of boiler

Very clear. Thanks for the reply.
  • Replacement cost of boiler

Hi I understand that the replacement cost of boiler should be treated as repair expense instead of replacement of domestic items relief. However both of them would be deducted from the rental income anyway and therefore should not make any difference to my taxable income at the end. Is my understanding correct? Thanks
  • How to file tax return for a BTL private limited company??

I have a BTL private limited company which is currently holding four properties. I only set up the company in Dec 2020 and I understand that I will have to file the first company tax return (CT 600) in next year. However when I read thru the guidelines in the website of HMRC, I noticed that I can only use the HMRC online service to report gross income from property up to £5,200 only. What happened if the gross income of my BTL company is above this threshold? Also it was mentioned that an investment company cannot use the HMRC online service as well. Is BTL company considered an investment company? Is it true that I can only use a commercial software to send the company tax return to HMRC as stated in the website? I also noticed that I can use the HMRC online service to send my accounts to Companies House to report gross income from property over £5,200. I'm a bit confused here as it was said earlier that I could use the HMRC online service to report gross income from property up to £5,200 only. How would it be possible for me to use the HMRC service to send my accounts to Companies House? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
  • RE: How to file tax return for a BTL private limited company??

Hi hi, Is there anyone who can help me with the above please? Many thanks!
  • How to file tax return for a BTL private limited company??

Hi, I have a BTL private limited company which is currently holding four properties. I only set up the company in Dec 2020 and I understand that I will have to file the first company tax return (CT 600) in next year. However when I read thru the guidelines in the website of HMRC, I noticed that I can only use the HMRC online service to report gross income from property up to £5,200 only. What happened if the gross income of my BTL company is above this threshold? Also it was mentioned that an investment company cannot use the HMRC online service as well. Is BTL company considered an investment company? Is it true that I can only use a commercial software to send the company tax return to HMRC as stated in the website? I also noticed that I can use the HMRC online service to send my accounts to Companies House to report gross income from property over £5,200. I'm a bit confused here as it was said earlier that I could use the HMRC online service to report gross income from property up to £5,200 only. How would it be possible for me to use the HMRC service to send my accounts to Companies House? Your advice is greatly appreciated.