Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Marriage Allowance and Higher Tax

Thanks for the reply. The figures for my pension contributions are included on the system. I have a tax calculation showing them and that I only paid 20% tax for the year. The tax office keep saying that I can’t have the Marriage Allowance because I was a higher rate payer at the time. This makes no sense to me as I have to wait until the end of the tax year to provide the private SIP pension contributions and bring the tax rate down to 20%. Is there someone higher in the organisation I can appeal to? Thanks
  • RE: Marriage Allowance and Higher Tax

Who should I contact as two letters and phone calls meet with the same negative response? Thanks
  • Marriage Allowance and Higher Tax

Dear all, My wife transferred the Marriage Allowance to myself. Normally my pay and company pension would make me a Higher Rate tax payer at 40% and I would not be eligible for the Marriage Allowance. However, in the last tax year I also paid into a SIP pension fund, and received relief on this, meaning that I dropped into the 20% tax bracket. This should mean I am eligible for the Marriage Tax Allowance, but HMRC are saying this is not the case. Any ideas? Thanks