Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: What constitutes a home address for reimbursable travel expenses

Hi HMRC, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my question is still not answered. I am not asking about the validity of the workplace, I know it qualifies as a temporary workplace. My question relates to the definition of a home. I’ve copied my question again from above - “On the weekends I’d like to stay in accommodation organised and paid for by myself in a different location to where I’m working but with an element of permanency (returning to the same location each weekend, joining local clubs, using it as my home for a couple of months). I’d like clarification on whether I can reasonably call the weekend accommodation my home (despite it not being permanent rented accommodation, as this doesn’t exist for me), and therefore expense my travel costs from my weekend address to my work address, which as stated above is a series of temporary workspaces at various client sites across the country. The reason I’m asking this is because my circumstances have changed from having a fixed permanent address at the weekend (rented accommodation) to no fixed permanent address (other than having my bank accounts registered to my parents address).” Please can you advise? Can I infer from your reply that the main consideration here is the workplace and that the home you return to each week does not have a clear definition? Therefore can I reasonably state I have an additional home address which is a different address to where my bank etc is registered, providing I can demonstrate a level of permanency? If so, what would you look for to demonstrate that permanency? Thanks, 

Hi HMRC, I’m not self employed. As stated above I expense my travel costs to my employer. Can you please advise? Thanks.

From Monday to Friday I’m based on client sites across the UK, no home address, I stay in hotels nearby and expense the accommodation costs. On the weekends I’d like to stay in accommodation organised and paid for by myself in a different location to where I’m working but with an element of permanency (returning to the same location each weekend, joining local clubs, using it as my home for a couple of months). I’d like clarification on whether I can reasonably call the weekend accommodation my home (despite it not being permanent rented accommodation, as this doesn’t exist for me), and therefore expense my travel costs from my weekend address to my work address, which as stated above is a serious of temporary workspaces at various client sites across the country. The reason I’m asking this is because my circumstances have changed from having a fixed permanent address at the weekend (rented accommodation) to no fixed permanent address (other than having my bank accounts registered to my parents address). Hope that helps, please let me know if anything remains unclear.
  • What constitutes a home address for reimbursable travel expenses

Hi, My work requires me to be on various client sites Mon-Fri to carry out my work, as such I expense my travel costs on a Monday and Friday from my home address to the client sites to my employer. However, I’ve given up my rented accommodation and I don’t have a fixed address anymore. My bank accounts are registered to my parents home as that’s the closest I have to a fixed address. I’m looking to spend a couple of months living in a new city (just on the weekends) and so I would travel from that city to client site. I would intend on expensing the travel as I have done previously, but wanted to check my understanding on what a reasonable definition of home is for these purposes. I’m not intending to rent permanent accommodation (due to it just being for a couple of months and only for the weekends) rather, I would return to the same temporary accommodation each weekend through the period (the same hotel every time). Since there is a degree of permanency (same location, would join local clubs etc) and I don’t have a more established home than this, it is reasonable for me to count this location as a home address and therefore expense my travel from this location to my work? Thank you