Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment Registration

Thanks for your prompt reply. May I know if there is any standard form regarding the letter? May I also know the postal/email address in which the letter should be sent to? Thanks.
  • Self Assessment Registration

Hi, I have just bought a residential property for letting in March 2022. Although it has not been letted out in 2021/22 tax year (no income), there have been some approved expenses, e.g. general maintenance and agent fee, incurred in 2021/22. Should I register for self assessment and fill out the tax return for recording the loss in 2021/22? Or can I include the expenses in 2022/2023 return instead? Thanks.
  • Self Assessment Registration

Hi, As a non UK resident landlord who just started receiving income from a property in the UK in tax year 2021/22, I have just received a letter from HMRC enclosing my UTR number and indicating a self assessment record has been set up for me. Do I still need to register the self assessment by filling out the SA1 form? Or should I directly complete my tax return? Thanks.
  • RE: Split Year Treatment

Hi, thank you for your prompt reply. May I ask one more question? When I read through SA109, I cannot see any areas to fill out the amount of overseas income if I do not claim the remittance basis. Could you please clarify where I should put the amount on the form?
  • Split Year Treatment

Hi, as I just moved to the UK from overseas since Aug 2021, I am considered as a tax resident for the tax year 2021/2022. As I have checked that I should meet the requirements for the Split Year Treatment under Case 4 (Starting to have a home in the UK only). Assuming I have an income of GBP12K before the split year date from overseas and a GBP1K after the split year date, may I ask the following questions: 1. I think I should apply for self assessment, is it right? 2. If yes, should I submit SA100 supplemented by SA109 and check the box number 3 under SA109? 3. Futher to Q2 above, when I read through SA109, I cannot see any areas to fill out the amount of overseas income if I do not claim the remittance basis. Could you please clarify where I should put the amount on the form? 4. Could you please also clarify whether I should include the overases income for the whole year (i.e. 12K+1K) or the amount after split year date (i.e 1K) on the return? Thank you very much and I greatly appreciate for your assistance.