Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Foreign Income for Non-domiciled' residents

Hello HMRC, I first arrived in the UK in 2015 and I understand, since then, I have been a UK resident but non domicile which means I am not liable to pay tax on overseas income not brought into the UK. I have earned interest income in India since the year 2017 and this remains in India and has never been remitted into the UK. I understand that since I am a non domicile for the first 7 years since I arrived into the UK, I am not liable to any tax on the interest income arising outside the UK. Also if I am required to pay tax on this interest earned in each financial year and that interest amount earned is less than £2000, then am not required to disclose or pay tax on it. Is that correct? I would be very grateful if you could please advise rather than directing me to any pages online which I find extremely difficult to make sense of which is why I am raising my query through this forum. Many Thanks!

Dear HMRC, Thank you for your response! Further to what you mentioned above, If I arrived in the UK in the year 2015, does that mean I am a UK resident but non domicile? Do I still need to complete and submit a self assessment even if I am not remitting the earnings to UK? Please could you clarify.

Hello HMRC, I have interest income recieved in India which I don't plan to bring to UK. I am currently residing and working full time in UK since 2015 and paying UK tax on my UK income. I was born in India and have no other family in the UK. Both my parents were born in India. I am an OIC card holder, having a Portuguese passport. I do not own a house in the UK and plan to retire in India after my retirement, does this mean I am a non-domiciled resident? Please could you advise if I still need to pay tax on interest income earned in India. Many thanks!