Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Foreign rental income under name of overseas company

Dear Officer, I relocated from Hong Kong to the UK in August 2021 and have become a UK tax resident. I have some rental income from UK properties under name of my company in the UK, and tax on which will be handled separately by my Accountant. I will submit Self-assessment to file my personal tax and apply for Split-year Treatment for 2021-22. Among others, I had little foreign rental income of less than GBP1,000 equivalent in the financial year under name of my company in Hong Kong, which will not be remitted into the UK. I understand from the Notes that I do not have Property Income Allowance as I own a company having property income in the UK, and hence need to report the foreign rental income regardless of the amount. Should this foreign rental income under a Hong Kong company be reported in my personal Self-assessment? If yes, could I choose remittance basis for this income? Or if not, should it be reported elsewhere, and in what context please? Thank you.
  • RE: Split Year Treatment: UK part

Thank you for your reply. Do I need to include foreign bank interests in the Self Assessment tax return, even the total amount is minimal and less than GBP50? For the income from my previous employer in Hong Kong after I moved to the UK, should I fill in the "Employment" form (SA102) or the "Foreign" form (SA106)? Or both forms are needed?
  • Split Year Treatment: UK part

(1) Hi, I moved from Hong Kong to the UK in August 2021 and have become UK resident for the tax year 2021-22 after residing in the UK for 183 days. It looks like that I qualify for split year treatment and need to report foreign income only for the UK part of the year. My question is, what is the date from which the UK part of the year begins? Should it be the date of my landing in the UK? Or should it be a date 183 days following the date of landing? (2) In the Self Assessment tax return, do I need to include all bank interests in the tax year, even the total amount is minimal and less than GBP50? (3) I got income from my previous employer in Hong Kong for two more months after I moved to the UK. I would like to be taxed on remittance basis and will fill in the SA109 form. Do I also need to fill in the "Employment" form (SA102) or the "Foreign" form (SA106)? Or both forms are needed? Thank you.