Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2022-23 - explained

I am not sure I understand the message. I have now checked the last 5 years and the tax amount paid is always very close to the tax owed. Only in 2021-22 there was a large gap (ca. £3,200) paid in full before 31st Jan 23. For the fiscal year 22-23, I can see once again that the tax paid is close to the tax owed (only £820 difference), but the "add Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2022-23" adds to the amount owed £3,600. It seems that my payment was not registered. I will enquire on the phone to ensure this is amended
  • Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2022-23 - explained

Hi, I've just completed my first self assessment online and I believe I incorrectly selected the need to add "Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2022-23" to my calculation. Based on last year self assessment, there was a balace due that I paid in full. So, I am not sure I needed to tick the "add Underpaid tax for earlier years in your tax code for 2022-23" box. Also I am not able to reconcile the number for that underpaid tax to 2021-22 statement, so I am not sure how it is calculated. Any pointer is really appreciated. Thanks