Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Unable to Verify Identity on HMRC

Hi, I want to apply for Marriage Allowance to transfer my personal allowance to my spouse, however, the system could not verify my identity. The reason is that there are 3 options to choose from, (1) a UK passport (2) a driving License, and (3) Credit Loans, I don't have a UK passport and driving license, the only option to choose is (3), but I am required to select at least 2 for identity verification, what should I do? Due to identity verification, I can't register for online services on HMRC, only I have Government Gateway ID , but when it comes to identity verification, I can't continue the registration, therefore, ID verification is BIG trouble to me, can you advise?
  • RE: Consultancy business for a HK company

Hi, If I do not need to claim any foreign tax credit relief (as I know I don't need to pay tax in the HK side, then I also need to fill in the self-employed page? Or do I just need to report my foreign income on the foreign income page? (I want to claim for Remittance Basis)

If those income is classed as “foreign income” and report on SA106 page, even the nature of those foreign income is by self employed, do I still need to report the same income earnings on SA103 “self employed”, I think it’s repeated reporting same income amount. In this case, I should decide whether the income earning goes to “foreign income” section or “self employment” section. And I decided to claim for remittance basis, so suppose I must declare these income under foreign income to allow me to claim for Remittance basis. So therefore, under this logic, should I still report under self employed IF I don’t have any other work except this?

Hi, I work by myself to provide consultancy services to my client which is a Hong Kong company. For the tax year 2021/22, I got GBP 24,000 earnings from them. Regarding to the above situation, GBP 24,000 is considered as "foreign income" and at the same time, this amount is also my self-employed earnings, and also, I need to claim for remittance basis on this amount for not remitting to the UK. My questions are: (1) Except filling in SA100, do I need to fill it SA103S (short version), SA106 and SA109 form ALL these supplementary forms? (2) Do I need to pay for National Insurance? If yes, how to go through PAYE or DPNI scheme? Thank you,

If I fill out SA103 to declare self employment income of GBP 24,000 in the tax year 2021-22 , and apply for trade allowance of GBP 1,000, personal allowance of GBP 12,570, and my spouse did not have work and can transfer some allowance of GBP 1,000 , so the taxable income should be : GBP 9,430 Then I fill in SA109 to claim for remittance basis, and all GBP 24,000 did not remit to UK, so I don’t need to pay tax on this. My question is , am I need to pay 20% tax band of GBP 9,430 taxable income ?
  • RE: Self employed foreign earnings

Hi again, Recap my background below: “Hi, I have migrated to UK since 7 June,2021 and right immediate from this date, I have a contractor contract (not employment contract) with a Hong Kong company by providing marketing & consultancy services to them, and this company pays me in HK dollars to my HK bank account from 07 June,2021 to 05 April,2022.” Question: I want to ask if I need to fill in SA106 “foreign” or not under my situation, IF I expect I don’t need to pay HK income tax for these earnings after calculations, therefore I shouldn’t need to claim for foreign tax paid / foreign tax credit relief.

Hi admin, If I fill in SA109 for earnings of income (consultancy service for a HK company) from Hong Kong, I don’t need to be taxed for that income if not remit to the UK, but then you said I need to fill in SA103 self employed page too, then the same source of income will be double declaring, and the self employment on SA103 will be taxable, so if both SA109 and SA103 are filled, it seems contradiction, please advise, thanks.

Hi, That means, from 6 April 2021 to 6 June 2021 (the period of income earning from employment in HK before I enter into the UK), I need to fill in SA100 to report this income from employment. Then, I should fill in SA103S “self employed” for the period of income earnings during 07 June 2021 to 05 Apr 2022. Then, if I want to claim for remittance basis, I fill in SA109 for those unremitted funds to the UK. Further question, Do I need to declare on the additional information page, saying that from 6 April 2021 to 6 June 2021, this should not be taxable because this is income before I enter into the UK?

Thank you, sorry but one more follow-up question, if i started for this consultancy service for the HK company on 7 June 2021(the first day I entered to UK), so from 06 April 2021 to 06 June 2021 , I have income earnings from employment with another HK company. For self assessment tax return, do I need to include the income earnings from 06 Apr 2021 to 06 June 2021 ? This earning is from my employment in HK, start on 7 June , I am self employed to offer consultancy services. So that is two parts of earnings during tax year 2021/22 , can you guide me how to declare income appropriately? Thanks.

Dear HMCR Admin, I would be grateful if you could reply to me so that I can file a self-assessment tax return. Thanks very much.