Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Accessing Previously Entered Information in Business Tax Account

Hi, I recall registering a business tax account as a "sole trader" and providing certain information during the account setup process. Now, as I proceed to complete the self-employed section, I realize the need to refer back to the previously entered information. However, I am unable to locate it when logging into my personal tax account. Could you please guide me on how to access the information I provided earlier? Thank you.
  • RE: Full Time Student has Foreign Income

Thank you so much for your reply and the information provided. As such, should I complete the self assessment or can I just skip doing it? Thanks a lot!
  • RE: Full time student work for overseas company

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply. I am a self-financed student, and my income is used for my tuition and accommodation costs. However, my total income exceeds the mentioned £15,000 threshold. Could you please advise whether only the amount exceeding this limit would be subject to tax, or if exceeding the limit makes the entire amount taxable? If only the amount exceeding the limit is taxable, does my personal allowance still apply? I appreciate your guidance on this matter. Many thanks!
  • Full Time Student has Foreign Income

Hi, I received my BNO visa in May 2022 and have been in the UK since September 2022 to study for a full-time master's degree. I also work for a Hong Kong-based company and receive a monthly service fee. I have created a business tax account and am planning to complete the self-assessment. However, I found information on HMRC's website stating that "foreign students usually do not pay UK tax on foreign income or gains, as long as they are used for course fees or living costs." I am unsure if I qualify for tax relief under these circumstances. On the other hand, which tax forms should I use? Please advise, many thanks! W Yeung
  • Full time student work for overseas company

I'm a BNO visa holder and I have been in the UK studying for a full-time degree since September 2022. During this time, I have also received service fees from a Hong Kong company, from September 2022 to April 2023. I have set up a business tax account, applied the UTR and I'm going to fill in the tax return. However, I'm not very sure if I have to pay the tax because I'm paying the international student tuition and I find that "Foreign students usually do not pay UK tax on foreign income or gains, as long as they’re used for course fees or living costs". Could you please advise if I have to complete the tax return? If yes, which form(s) should I use for my situation?