Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Adjusted net income - do you include pension contributions at source?

    Hi, I'm trying to fill in my tax return for child benefit purposes. I work as a Headteacher for a multi academy trust. When I fill the form in, the income and tax figures are already filled in by the system, presumably from the PAYE data. These figures match the figures I have here on my P60 for income and tax paid. When filling in the form for the child benefit charge, do I need to deduct pension contributions for the year as well? And if so where do I add this figure in the self assessment? As an example, say I'm earning £65,000 and my tax paid for the year is £14,000 I will also have pension contributions taken at source of circa £9,000 (Teacher pension). Do I need to deduct this £9,000 from the £65,000 to arrive at my ANI? Thanks