Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Reporting foreign savings and dividend incomes on arising basis

    Hi, I moved to the UK in July 2021 and became resident in the UK in the tax year 2021-22. Prior to that, I have never been resident in the UK. I have foreign savings and dividend incomes to be reported and I would like to use the arising basis of taxation for this tax year. Do I need to fill in the "Remitted foreign savings income" and "Remitted foreign dividend income" rows as well as boxes 7.1 to 7.5 on pages F2 & F3 of SA106? Thank you.
  • RE: Pension from Hong Kong

    Hi HMRC Admin, Do I need to state the amount of pension (in Hong Kong dollars) I received in the 'Any other information' box as well? Thank you.
  • RE: Pension from Hong Kong

    Hi HMRC Admin, According to your reply above, I need not declare my monthly pension from Hong Kong in the UK. Is it still necessary for me to provide in the ‘Any other information' box on my tax return the payer of the pension and the Double Taxation Treaty with Hong Kong, as stated in Clause 3.2 of the "Remittance basis 2022" Helpsheet HS264? Thank you.
  • RE: Pension from Hong Kong

    Thank you for your reply. 1). Since I came to the UK in July 2021 and did not work in the tax year 2021-2022, I am going to apply for split year treatment in my self assessment tax return to report my income from saving and dividends from unit trusts investment in Hong Kong, Apart from SA100, SA106 and SA109, do I need to file other forms? Can I file them online? 2). I am domiciled outside the UK. If I use the arising basis for this tax year, can I switch between the arising basis and the remittance basis in future years? 3). I did not have any capital gains in the tax year 2021-2022. Instead, I incurred capital losses in the disposal of some unit trusts. Do I need to report the losses in my tax return? If affirmative, which other forms should I file together with my tax return? Can I use my capital losses this year to offset any capital gains in future years? Many thanks.
  • RE: Register for Self Assessment

    How can I register for self assessment online without an NI number?
  • Register for Self Assessment

    Hi, Must I have a NI number to register for self assessment? Thank you.
  • Pension from Hong Kong

    Hi, I retired from a company in Hong Kong and have been receiving a monthly pension in Hong Kong dollars after retirement. I am now a UK resident. Is my monthly pension taxable in the UK? If affirmative, what exchange rate shall I use in my tax return? Thank you.