Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Moved abroad in April 2022, reduce 2022-23 payments on account?

    I left the UK in April 2022 and am not a UK resident (for tax purposes) for the 2022-23 tax year. However, I was a UK tax resident for the 2021-22 tax year and I will be submitting the 2021-22 self assessment form before this month's deadline. After viewing my calculation, I am asked "Are you claiming to reduce your 2022-23 payments on account?" Should I claim to reduce my payments now, or should I be making these payments on account and expect to receive a refund for the overpayment in the future?
  • SA109 for 2022-2023

    I left the UK permanently in May 2022 and I am not a UK resident (for tax purposes) for the 2022-23 tax year. I am self employed and have been filing self assessment returns online in previous tax years. I believe I am required to file a self assessment return for the 2022-23 tax year, but accompany it with the SA109 (Residence, remittance basis etc.) form to notify HMRC of my change in status. This has to be sent by post and by the deadline for paper returns (October 2023). My question is, do I still need to fill in the extra self-employed section (SA103F) detailing my turnover and expenses, or is this not necessary since none of this is subject to tax?