Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Self assessment - children owe tax but unable to get NI number

    Please help. I (and their grandparents) have put money into bare trusts for my children, some of which is in the stock market. I already pay tax on the interest as it is above £100 but have been informed that they are both entitled to a capital gains tax allowance and therefore should file their own tax return. Due to the strong stock market gains they both have capital gains over the threshold and therefore owe tax. I want to pay this but the department in charge of issuing national insurance numbers haven’t despite repeated requests issued them with a national insurance number - so I can’t file a tax return for them. I want to pay but another arm of the government is stopping me from doing so. I am worried that we will get fined for this. Please help. What can I do??