Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • I'm self employed can I claim for work carried out by Wife in my business who is self employed.

    I have been self employed and a sole trader for over 20 years. My wife wants to go self-employed freelance doing her own work in the New Year, but would also be doing some admin, office and IT work for me about 10-15 hours per week. I would like her to invoice me on a monthly basis for the total hours done so I can pay her. Can I claim this as an expense? What she earns though me would be declared on her self assessment tax return. I do not want to have to set up PAYE. Is there a legal or acceptable limit per month how much I can pay her or she can work for me as an independent self-employed person for freelance contract work each month without having to set up PAYE? I do not want to go via the partnership route yet unless her hours need to be increased above such a legal limit or at least until the beginning of the next tax year April 6th 2022. Any clear advice on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you.