Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Returning to the UK from Australia - What will be taxable in UK

    Thank you for clarifying about the house sale, Regards Dingo.
  • RE: Returning to the UK from Australia - What will be taxable in UK

    Hi Hmrc Admin 17 - thanks for the quick reply, most of it makes sense and confirms what I have read on the HMRC website. I'm not sure why my "foreign income would include "(b) any overseas Capital Gains on the sale of residential property"? I forgot to mention I have been living in Australia for the last 26 years and my wife and I own our family home here in Aus. I intend selling it before coming to the UK and using the proceeds to buy a house in the UK, so at the point of leaving Aus to come back to the UK, I will no longer have any property here. My understanding was that Capital gains tax on property sales applies for those who have lived outside of UK for 5 years or less. Would I be assessed for "Capital gains" on the sale of my family home in Australia assuming I sell it before moving to the UK? Regards Dingo
  • Returning to the UK from Australia - What will be taxable in UK

    I am a dual UK/Australian citizen currently living in Australia and am contemplating moving back to the UK in the next few years. What of my Australian assets will need to be declared to HMRC; and which be subject to UK tax. ? When we do decide to move, I am likely to to have the following monetary assets in Australia, (1) Cash savings in Australian bank accounts, most of which I would like to move to the UK to put towards buying a house to live in in the UK, (2) proceeds from the sale of our house sale in Oz, again, to put towards to support house purchase in the UK. (3) Australian shares, which I don't intend to sell; but which normally pay twice yearly dividends (100% Franked) into one of my Australian bank accounts, some of the this money would likely be transferred to UK on a regular basis (is it UK income?) , (4) a fortnightly payment from my Australian pension fund as I am retired, this is paid into Australian bank account. Some of the this money would then likely be transferred to UK from time to time. From the point of view of having to pay UK tax, is it income, or is it just a transfer of some Australian savings?