Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Accidentally made a mistake in my previous tax return and HRMC has sent me a cheque, help

    Hi guys, So I registered for self assessment several years ago when i started up a small business after covid. While I was doing this I was also working part time. In the end the business failed and I did not end up needing to pay any tax, but I must have made a mistake in one of the parts of my form, (I believe in the payments made to hmrc by my employer) and now HMRC has sent me a cheque for £183. Obviously this must be some mistake as there is no way they can owe me any money and I of course have no intention to cash the cheque whatsoever but what do I do know? Can I contact HMRC and get them to fix the balance? I want to do the right thing but I am scared I might be hit be a fee for this mistake. Any advice would be much appreciated