Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• received letter asking for last year's return

Hi Admin, I just set up my account recently to file my 2022/23 return and today I received HMRC's letter asking for my 2021/22 return but I only arrived in the UK in Feb 2022, got a flat in March, I did not have any income since then until April 2022. Do I still need to submit my return for last year? If the answer is no, what should I do to cancel that request in my account? Thank you!
  • RE: is it necessary to set up as sole trader

Thanks for the reply. As I was trying to fill in the form, I was asked to input a business name. Does it mean I'm opening a company or it's just a name? Is it a must to set up a company for self-employment? And the problem is most of my self-employment business now is only generating foreign income, which I should input under "foreign income" after using exchange rates. In that case I'll have almost nothing to put under "business income". Is this correct to fill in UK and non-UK income separately, if both are self-employment? If my foreign income is already reported in Hong Kong but not taxed after deducting all the allowance (so I paid 0 tax in Hong Kong), do I still have to fill in the tax relief claim form? Thanks again.
  • RE: How to correctly declare UK and Foreign income - Sole Trader

Hello, I have the same query. I tried to put my UK income under my business turnover, and non-UK income separately on the foreign income (self employment) page. But since my UK income is less than my business expenses, it created a negative figure and couldn't proceed to calculate the foreign tax relief credit, so it got stuck on the "view calculation" page. Should I put my non-UK income also under my business turnover? If so, will the amount be counted twice? My non-UK income hasn't generated any tax overseas, can I choose not to claim tax relief credit? But the system seemed to prompt me doing so. Thanks for your clarification.
  • which address should I put in self-assessment registration

I just registered for self-assessment online and was asked to fill in a business address. I have an unlimited company overseas but I work from home in the UK, which is rented so I don't own the place. Should I put my overseas address or the rented UK address ad my business address? Because of this confusion, I submitted duplicated registration requests since there's no way to change my details. Also, when registering I realised my first and middle names in the system (NI) were mixed up. I clicked "change name" online but I don't really mean to legally change my name, it's just a correction of mistakes. Please advise if there's anything else I have to do. Thank you.
  • is it necessary to set up as sole trader

Hi admin, I am a self-employed freelancer and have an unlimited company in Hong Kong which takes Hong Kong freelance jobs, but I live and work from home in the UK. And I don't have local employment here. I have registered for self-assessment tax return and intend to report my foreign income. 1) Is it necessary for me to set up as sole trader? If not, am I still eligible to claim the expenses relating to my work? 2) If my foreign income is already reported in Hong Kong but not taxed after deducting all the allowance (so I paid 0 tax in Hong Kong), do I still have to fill in the tax relief claim form? 3) For my case, would you please clarify which form(s) I need to fill in for tax return? Thanks a lot.