Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Tax implications for working self-employed contract for US company

    Hello, I am a UK tax resident and self-employed in the UK. I have been offered a contract as a consultant (i.e. self-employed in the UK still and not employed) by a company based in the US. Do I understand correctly that I do not need to pay tax in the UK as long as I pay through my self-assessment in the UK? I have been asked to complete a W-8BEN form for the US tax system, which as far as I can tell, takes care of a double-taxation agreement so that I do not pay tax twice. Please could you confirm if there is anything else I would need to do for the double-taxation agreement? Could you also confirm that I should not have to complete any more documentation for the US tax system, nor pay any taxes to the US? Thank you very much for your help.