Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Dividend of short selling

    Hi HMRC Admin, Where should I declare the payment in lieu of dividend received as lender, if the shares are foreign shares. I can't find the right box in the foreign section
  • Determining allowable cost for trading shares

    Hi, This is my first year in UK and also my first to submit a self assessment. I trade and invest in listed shares. Before I become a UK resident, I had some same day trade. As I was not a UK resident at that time, does the ‘same day’ rule apply to these transactions, specifically in determining the allowable cost for future disposal when I become UK resident?
  • split year: case 4 vs. case 8

    Hi, I am opting slit year treatment for 2022/23, but I am not sure if I should be selecting Case 4 or Case 8. I came from Hong Kong and I start my one-year lease in UK since Oct 2022, I have no plans to go back to Hong Kong in the foreseeable future. However, I am still using my parents' address in Hong Kong for receiving certain posts (e.g. local bank statement). In this situation, can I still consider my UK rental apartment as my "only home" which qualifies me for Case 4, or do I have to pick Case 8? Thanks