Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Informing HMRC about leaving the U.K.

    Good afternoon, I want to inform HMRC that I am permanently (probably at least 2 years) moving abroad. I have researched on the HMRC website and found this info: “Fill in form P85 and send it to HMRC. Include Parts 2 and 3 of your P45 form - get these from your employer (or Jobcentre Plus if you’ve been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance). Send a Self Assessment tax return instead if you usually complete one, for example if you’re self-employed. Send a P85 and a tax return if you’re going to be working full-time for a UK-based employer for at least one full tax year. Sending your tax return You cannot use HMRC’s online services to tell them you’re leaving the UK. Instead, you need to: * send your tax return by post * use commercial software * get help from a professional, such as an accountant” Do I understand correctly that, because I submit self assessment tax returns (an accountant submits for me), I should use the next self assessment submission in April to inform HMRC of my departure date from the U.K.? What if the date I leave the U.K. is prior to April? Is it still ok to inform HMRC in April, after having left the country? Thank you
  • Registering as self-employed,

    Good afternoon, My accountant has been submitting self assessment tax returns for me for several years. I have been working as a seafarer and because I fulfilled certain criteria, I have been eligible for the Seafarers Earnings Deduction (SED) during this time. During this past tax year (2021 - 2022) my working situation was altered and I now believe I should submit my earnings for this tax year as a self-employed person rather than as an employed seafarer. My question is, should I register myself online as self-employed prior to my accountant submitting my tax return in April, or should I ask him to register me as self-employed at the same time as he submits the return? Thank you